Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dialects

There're so many mixed languages and dialects in Singapore, it is said that the singaporean can speak both english and chinese, or other languages but they are not good at either of them...But actually I have to admit their english is quite good, although when they speak very fast with a chinese accent (or rather south asia accent ) , they often neglect some english grammars. However their listening comprehension and writing are so good. Well take an example of Markus, the son of my friend Jamie, this 13-year-old boy can understand everything in BBC news, but I cannot.

I'm always confused which language should I speak with my singaporean colleagues, those who also understand Chinese, but yesterday my HR colleague told me " if you really want to practise your english, just speak it naturally, don't care that we have different accents! ". Can it be a good solution?

Today when I talked with colleagues about the dialects in Singpore, it looked much more complicated than my problem of english...if you really pay attention to their common words used in dailylife, you'll find "qia" "kopi"...something mixed by Hokkien, Cantonese, Teochew, and Malay. They grow up in this mixed-cultures environment.

Now when I enter deep and deep into this society, shall I have to learn those dialects as well? Then work hard!


PS. qia=car, kopi=coffee

No comments: